Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fatal Error




Well, that would be my luck. The day after my birthday and I get one hell of a gift: a dead pc.
My tower will absolutely not turn on, regardless of trying simple fixes like switching the cables and checking the outlets. Unfortunately, a pc that wont turn on means delays in the game. I will be checking into this and trying to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, and try to fix it as quick as I can, but be aware that this could take a while. Sorry for the issues.

For now, I will try to keep up with everything by other means, like I am right now.

9/22/2015 Update: 

Good news! My computer booted up! It turns out it didn't die, but rather has problems with ventilation and therefore has been overheating recently. However, my pc IS reaching the 9 year mark, so I may have to build a new one soon. Whether this is a few weeks, 6 months, or 2 years down the line, it will have to be done eventually. For now, I will be keeping better care of my pc, making sure it stays cool after long use.

9 comments:

  1. My, that is... unfortunate, it is! Yes, yes, unfortunate...
    Karma working on minions, if you'd ask me, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunate is... quite the understatement. O_O
    For the love of Paws, please tell me the HD's not toast yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one doesn't know what HD is, but if you'd be so nice to tell this one, it will ensure it being roasted nicely in garlic butter.

      Delete
    2. HD = The hard drive of the computer, where all data is stored.

      Delete
    3. Feh, tech stuff. This one figures it still does owe you a cookie.
      -hands one-

      Delete
    4. Up and running again for now. And rest assured, the hard drive is still unscathed. If anything, I could salvage the data from the hard drive in the case of an emergency and keep it stored on a portable source until it is ready to be opened up again.

      Delete
    5. I don't know if you tried, but cleaning the dust inside the tower helps with the overheating problem, also the one attached to the fans.

      WARNING!! DO NOT USE WATER!! NEVER!!

      Delete
    6. I give my tower a good internal dusting every few months, canned air if I can afford it and gentle cotton swab dusting when I cant. I know what the cause was, as it has been moved to a corner recently where there is little air flow compared to the old set up, where there was usually a fan blowing cool air infront of it. I didnt think about this until after the tower shut off, but it seems pretty obvious now. So as mentioned, I will be remedying this quickly.

      Delete
    7. You know on older towers that one of the common and relatively cheap parts that can go is the switches that turn them on and off. I just thought I'd mention that as something to keep in mind. Also it pays to have a little portable vacuum cleaner with different nozzles to assist with the monthly cleaning of dust that will accumulate in most pcs. (Unless you happen to have your pc in a laboratory clean-room which is definitely not the case here xD).

      You can buy special anti-static cleaning agents for use on circuit boards but you do have to make sure that you have everything powered down and all power cords disconnected from the tower. You should also disconnect any components that plug into your tower too just to be extra safe. Give it a good hour or so at that before using those types of sprays though and make sure it's completely dry before you put everything back together. I should point out that this solution is usually overkill. The vacuum cleaner treatment should be sufficient to keep the dust at a minimum.

      Delete